Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Redefining Normal

Hello friends and neighbors back here on this little planet on the left side of nowhere.

Which may be better than being on the right side of nowhere.

As a member of the most predatory, most violent species on this little planet, I wish you well.

I wish you peace, long life, and little violence.

I do not hope for it, because that would be to stretch hope too far.
I do not expect it, for obvious reasons.
I wish it.

I was listening to the public television news today, listening to the principal of the Colombine school talk about redefining "normal." We are always redefining "normal."

Generally we use a definition less violent than the previous one, so this is a good thing.

The definition is generally more violent than many of us would like, and that's a bad thing.

But I, among the many of us, I get far more violent – in speech only, because I'm a pantywaist – than I would like. I don't seem to be alone in that. That is not a good thing, but I'm working on it.

I'll bet you are, too. And that's a good thing.

But my point is, less is more.
Violence is less violent than it used to be. Example: torture is less disfiguring.
Extremism is less extreme than it used to be. Example: the average white person is able to recognize a person of color as a human being. OK. Almost. But still.
Self satisfaction is a little bit less self satisfied.

And that's as it should be, always.

So anyway, how was your Wednesday?

Uneventful, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment