Monday, March 10, 2008

Eschewing Dignation

I'm giving up righteous indignation for Lent.

Oh, I know what you're going to say. We're over half-way through Lent and besides you're supposed to give up something you really enjoy. Like chocolate. Or pleasant activities that we used to suppose didn't involve children or domesticated animals.

Well, that's as may be, but I maintain that giving up something halfway through Lent is better for two reasons. First, I do really enjoy being righteously indignant, especially in this blog, so I am following the spirit of the season, even if belatedly. Second, it's much easier to stick to the give-something-up resolution if you don't have to do it for very long. So I am following the practice of the season.

And my timing befits one at the foreback (antonym of forefront). This is the Trailing Edge, after all.

OK. Three reasons. I was slow at arithmetic. No surprise there.

For clarification, I offer the following:
  • "Indignation," according to my 3 volume Webster means, "typically intense deep-felt resentment or anger aroused by annoyance at or displeasure with or scorn over something that actually is or is felt to be unjust or unworthy or mean."
  • "Dignation," according to the same dictionary, means, "the act of showing esteem, especially to an inferior."
Well, imagine my surprise when I was doing the usual extensive (i.e., "minimal") research for this blog. "Dignation" is an actual word, although obsolete (but, then, so am I). And the opposite of its meaning is closer to what I intend when saying "indignation."

You can see my dilemma right off. On the other hand, if what you saw right off is that my dictionary is out-of-date and the definition of "indignation" is far too complicated, perhaps I should explain. My point is that I was going to try to stop with all these holier-than-thou, public diatribes against those who disagree with my well-informed and/or firmly-held opinions. My thought was to give up the superior tone.

But it turns out I also gave up being really irate about legitimate ills.

So what do I blog about?

Ideas lentenly accepted...
No sunshine and puppies, please. I love them, but don't seem able to expound on that theme. Perhpas it's the allergy to puppies.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:00 AM

    Do you have copy writer for so good articles? If so please give me contacts, because this really rocks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:10 PM

    Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
    And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! I write my own stuff - the good and the bad. And I'm interested in where you don't agree with me and why. Say more.

    ReplyDelete